Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Grand Mentor...

What an exciting day! I got to listen to J. Craig Venter give a seminar today on his exciting career and what he sees as the future of science. Dr. Venter is the founder of Celera and the brains behind the sequencing of the human genome. He also happens to be the mentor of my mentor, Mark Adams. This makes him my grand mentor! One of his many projects involves collecting genes from organisms around the world mostly from the Sorcerer II (below). Now the exciting part, with millions of genes in his collective database as his tools, he plans to build artificial organisms custom made to perform specific functions. One exciting application would be the production of biofuels. It's no wonder he was ranked by Time Magazine as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World and one of the top 3 scientist of our time.
I'm so honored to be a part of his academic lineage. I hope that I can accomplish just a fraction of what he has already done! Todays talk was such an inspiration to work harder and believe that nothing is impossible. (From left to right: Gabrielle Nickel, Mark Adams, Craig Venter, Me)

1 comment:

Eric said...

wow...once in a life time event ... !